Monday, April 1, 2013

Sweet T's Bacon Grilled Cheese


Sweet T’s Grilled Cheese

 


If you took a poll, I believe bacon would be the number one guilty pleasure food.  I, like most people, love bacon.  I don’t eat it regularly, but there is a lot of joy in eating a perfectly crisp slice of bacon.  I have gained enough of a reputation, that I have been gifted not one, but two bacon t-shirts to show my bacon love.


Here is my "Bacon is meat candy" shirt from
 my honey's mother
 
Here is my "Everything is better with bacon"
shirt from my honey

A close runner-up on guilty pleasure foods would have to be cheese.  What better way to make a grilled cheese, than by adding bacon?  This is one of my favorite sandwiches.  It’s perfect for a weekend lunch since it’s the perfect time to indulge a little. 

 

This hits all the flavor marks.  The sourdough bread lends a subtle tang.  The tomato adds a bright freshness.   The bacon adds a meaty, saltiness and irresistible crunch.  And the ooey-gooey cheese marries it altogether. 

 

 

Ingredients:

2-3 slices of bacon per sandwich (I prefer the center cut bacon)

1 large beefsteak tomato

4 slices sourdough bread

1-2 tablespoons butter, room temperature so that it’s easy to spread

½ cup shredded cheese of your choice, I recommend sharp cheddar or your favorite blend

 
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Place bacon in a single layer on the lined cookie sheet.  Bake in the oven for about 17 minutes.  Place a paper towel sheet on a plate.  Remove bacon with tongs and place on the paper towel to drain. 

 
Slice the beefsteak tomato into slices about ½ centimeter thick.  You will need about 2 slices per sandwich depending on the size of your tomato.

With room temperature butter, spread lightly on one side of each slice of bread. 

 
Turn stovetop on low to medium-low heat.  Place a slice of bread, butter side down on your griddle.   Sprinkle a small amount (about 2 teaspoons) of the grated cheese on the bread.  Next layer your tomatoes on top of the cheese, followed by the bacon.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of your bacon layer (about ¼ cup).  Place the second slice of bread, butter side up on top, to complete the sandwich. 

 
Repeat with for the second sandwich. 

Once the cheese starts to melt and the bottom slice of bread is a golden brown color, carefully flip the sandwich.  Allow the second side to cook for a few minutes until the second slice of bread is also golden brown. 

 
Carefully, remove the sandwich to your serving plate and enjoy!

Makes 2 sandwiches

 

Bonus tips:

·         The bacon cooking technique that I’m using is a personal favorite.  It’s low-maintenance and delivers perfectly crisp bacon without the messy clean-up, or threat of a painful grease splatter.

·         Cooking the sandwich over a low to medium-low heat will allow the cheese to melt properly.  Rushing the process by cooking on a higher heat will only toast the bread, and not thoroughly melt the cheese.

·         To keep butter at the perfect temperature for spreading without worry of spoiling from being left out, I highly recommend a butter bell.  Mine was a present from my sister from my Amazon.com wish list.  I love it!

·         When flipping this sandwich, I like to use two utensils.  One to slide under the sandwich and one to hold everything together from the top.  See the video for my technique.

1 comment:

  1. I will try making this in Ohio next week for the new mommy, daddy, & Mr. G xoxox Granny Di

    ReplyDelete