Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mini Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes

Mini Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes



I don’t know if other people are like this, but when I crave a certain food I don’t stop until I figure out a way to get it.  My dad was the same way.  I have memories of driving across town to one specific hamburger place because that was the only hamburger he wanted. 

A few days ago, I told my honey that I wanted cheesecake.  He just laughed and told me that I’m cute.  Little did he realize that I would immediately start plotting how to make this imaginary cheesecake that popped into my head.  First, I don’t currently have a spring form pan, so I figured mini cheesecakes would be the simplest solution.  It also makes them travel better, and they’re easier to share with friends.  Then, factoring in my great love for chocolate, I knew I needed some in the mix.  I didn’t want a completely chocolate cheesecake, so instead I “just” settled for chocolate chips, chocolate topping, and an Oreo cookie crust.  I wanted to satisfy my need for chocolate and cheesecake without letting the one flavor overpower the other.   Finally, what goes best with chocolate and creamy cheesecake?  Peanut butter of course! 

So with that, this cheesecake was created.  When I took my tester batch out of the oven, I let my honey taste one, intending to share it.  He promptly snuck away with it, polishing it off within minutes.  I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

 
 

Ingredients

Oreo cookie crust:

1 cup crushed Oreo cookies (it took me about 18 whole cookies, cream included, to get a cup)

1 tablespoon light brown sugar

2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter


Filling:

1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup light brown sugar

1 egg

2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

1 tablespoon sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup mini chocolate chips



Topping:

3 ounces semisweet chocolate

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil


 
Prepare the crust:

Place 1 cup of finely ground Oreo cookie crumbs (creamy center included), 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of melted butter into a small bowl.  Stir with a fork until well combined.  Place paper liners in a muffin tin.  Spoon the cookie mixture into the 12 cups and distribute evenly.  With your fingers, press the mixture into the bottom of each cup.  Set aside.    


 
Prepare the filling:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat 8 ounces of softened cream cheese and 1/3 cup of brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed.  Add the egg and continue to beat the mixture.  Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Then continue to beat on medium.  Fold in 1 cup mini chocolate chips by hand.  Spoon the batter evenly over the prepared cookie crusts.  Make sure to cover the cookie crust completely. 

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and place on a baking rack to cool while you prepare the topping.




Prepare the topping:

Over a double broiler or heavy saucepan, add 3 ounces of semisweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.  Stir continuously until the chocolate is melted.  Set aside to bring to room temperature.  Then coat the top of each cheesecake with the room temperature chocolate.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. 

Store in the refrigerator. 


Tips:

·         To crush the Oreos you can either ground the cookies in a food processor, or you may place the cookies in a Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin. 

·         Eggs are best to use at room temperature, if possible. 

·         If you don’t have a standing mixer, you can either use a hand mixer, or even mix by hand.

·         To use a double broiler, place a small amount of water in a saucepan and heat until it comes to a rolling boil.  Place the top of the double broiler (or heatproof bowl) securely on top.  Make sure it fits tightly so that no steam is escaping.  If you don’t have the equipment to double broil, you may use a heavy saucepan.  Just be careful not to let the chocolate burn.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment