Friday, April 26, 2013

Game of Thrones-Inspired Lemon Tea Cakes (Sansa Stark's favorites!)


Game of Thrones-inspired Lemon Tea Cakes

Lemon cakes are coming…

 


Today I am making a special treat inspired by George R.R. Martin’s popular book and TV series, Game of Thrones.  And no, it’s not horse hearts.

When I really love something, I have no shame in the depths of geekdom that I am willing to reach.  I have been a fan of Game of Thrones ever since my wonderful honey introduced me to the series a while back.  There is such a wealth of fascinating characters and enthralling storylines in the series. 

Shekh ma shieraki anni (or my sun and starts, aka my honey) and I even reached a new level of fandom when we created and wore our first cosplay outfits to Wizard World’s Chicago Comic Con last summer.  Given my background in the performing arts (dance and theatre), it seemed like a natural progression to take our love of Game of Thrones.  My honey created a Ser Jorah Mormont costume and I created a Daenerys Targaryen costume.  Pretty much ever since, I’ve considered myself Daenerys.  Now whenever I grab or eat something too hot, I say “I am blood of the Dragon!” 
Dany and Ser Jorah at Comic Con

(In reality, my heat tolerance has probably actually developed from years of baking, cooking, burning myself on pans and burning my mouth tasting things straight from the oven or stove.  But that just doesn’t sound as cool to me.)

For each season of the TV series Game of Thrones, honey and I gather at our friends’ homes to watch the show together.  The other week during an episode that included a scene of Margaery Tyrell, Sansa Stark and Lady Olenna sharing lemon cakes and cheese in the garden, I was inspired to make my own version.

My version is a light and slightly sponge-like cake with subtle notes of lemon, topped with a sweet and tart lemon glaze.
 
Check my how to video in my Dany cosplay!

 

Cake Ingredients:

½ cup unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon butter flavor

Zest of 1 medium lemon

Juice (about 1 tablespoon)  of 1 medium lemon

1 ½ cup cake flour

1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk (I use milk mixed with buttermilk powder)

 

Prepare the cakes:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a muffin tin well.

 

In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.  Add sugar and beat for about 2 minutes on medium speed, or until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and continue beating until well combined.  Add vanilla, butter flavor, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Mix until blended. 

 

In a separate bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

 

Alternate between adding buttermilk and dry ingredients (cake flour/baking powder/baking soda/salt blend) to the butter mixture.   There should be about 3 additions of each.

 

Pour batter into the muffin tins until each cup is about 2/3 of the way full.  Depending on the size of your muffin tin, this should create between 12-15 cakes. 

Place in the oven and immediately turn the heat down to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool in the tin for about 10 minutes then remove the cakes to a cooling rack.  I turn the cakes upside down, but that’s just my personal preference; I think they look cooler that way.  Let cool completely before adding the glaze.

 

Lemon Glaze Ingredients:

1 ¼ cup powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon butter flavor

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

 
Prepare the lemon glaze:

Combine ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  Whisk until blended and there are no more lumps of the powdered sugar. 

Drizzle the glaze over the completely cooled cakes.  Let glaze set before enjoying.

 

Makes 12-15 mini cakes.

 
Thanks for checking out my blog!  Be sure to check me out YouTube, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment